Sunday, October 10, 2010

Why I Love Him (One Reason)

For those who don't know, I am getting married in a little over a month and the man I am marrying is the same man I've been with for the last 7 years.  You can read about our story here.

Justin plays World of Warcraft, and has literally played the entire time we've been together.  He asked me to be his girlfriend on a Friday and I think WoW came out the following Tuesday or something.

Over the years, it has sometimes been very frustrating for him to be so wrapped up in what I call a stupid game.  Justin takes his position, which is guild leader, very seriously, and this has a habit of taking its toll.

Here's my point of view: as of right now, I'm jobless.  I am at home all day alone with only my cell phone and our basic cable to keep me company, cleaning the apartment and doing my homemaker chores.  I take him and pick him up from work due to the lack of parking where he works.  I fix his lunch and his dinner, as well as his coffee and I do all the dishes afterward.  I figure the least I can ask of him is to spend some time with me when he gets home from work.  Instead, he gets on WoW almost immediately upon getting the door.  This upsets me on a regular basis because I feel like he blows me off for something stupid like WoW.  He doesn't ever tell his guildies that he'll see what he can do about raiding with them, he tells me that he'll see what he can do about hanging out with me because he's "supposed to" be raiding that night.  It's incredibly angering after a while.

BUT!

This particular blog post is not to bash him, nor is it a rant session.  This post is to give the silver lining that I often tend to forget: he's passionate about something.  Justin doesn't watch sports, he doesn't have Poker Night every Friday with the guys and he doesn't constantly give his gender excuses for doing stupid things because he's a man.  He makes time for something he feels absolutely passionate about.  He doesn't come home from work and demand a beer and the television remote control.  He doesn't demand alone time because he had to work that day and I didn't.  He never makes light of what I do in the apartment, he doesn't care where I drive in his car while he's a work, and he always, always thanks me for every meal I make.  He tells me everyday, at least once, that he loves me and that I'm beautiful.

So I guess that I'd rather have a sweet partner than a demanding husband.  I love that he's passionate about what he does and that he feels like he's knowledgeable enough to be in charge of something, even if it's a guild in WoW.  Everyone deserves to feel that way.

I love his for his faults as well as his accomplishments.  And I suppose WoW fits both of those bills.

No comments:

Post a Comment