Monday, October 10, 2011

Saturday in Spartanburg

This past Saturday, October 8, was my "cousin" Jordan's wedding (I use that term loosely simply because we are only cousins by marriage and we aren't very close).  She and her husband, Luke, have been dating for a while, just as long as Justin and me.  The wedding was very nice, but I really didn't care for her color choices.  She somehow managed to put eggplant purple, orange, red, and green together.  (Eww.)  Here are some pictures from the big day. . .


















• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •

But it was the morning of the wedding that meant so much to me.  Luke and I went to see Daddy run in a 5K around downtown Spartanburg.   He even called both of us individually to ask if we could come, something that never happens.  We got there late (Daddy said it started at 8 a.m., and his goal was to finish around 9:50 a.m.; we got there right at 9), not really knowing where to go.  So when we saw a crowd of people, we migrated to them.  As we reached the crowd, we realized that the crowd was standing around the finish line.  Furthermore, we noticed everyone standing around had a number pinned on them.  Luke and I started getting nervous because we were afraid that Daddy had already finished and that we had missed him.  Daddy has been running since he was in high school, so it didn't surprise either of us to think that he could have finished a 5K in under an hour.  We stood on the curb next to the road, which was currently being used as the track, where other participants were still running.  After ten long minutes of waiting, Luke and I were starting to give up hope.  And then suddenly, Daddy came down the hill.  There was a camera crew from the local news station there covering the event, because apparently some celebrity was running the 5K and even had a police escort ride a motorcycle next to him as he ran, and Daddy briefly spoke to them as he ran past.  He seemed pretty pleased to see us.  While Daddy continued running, Luke and I hung out together on the curb.  We decided to sing "Eye of the Tiger" as he ran past on his last lap, but it didn't work out because as he ran past us, Daddy was too far away to hear us singing.  But Daddy finished running and didn't go to bad over his goal time, although he was pretty beat when he finished.





That's a lot of ice!






It was great to see Daddy, but he was his usual self.  Not that that's bad, but sometimes it leaves a lot to be desired, particularly if you're trying to impress him.  He wasn't impressed by either one of our jobs, but he never really is.  There were several stands set up from local companies and stores, and Academy Sports had a tent set up with Plinko, and each of us played.  Luke and Daddy each won water bottles and I won a bracelet.  There was another tent that gave the runners free food and drinks, and Daddy really wanted to hit that tent up.  They had pulled pork sandwiches, and Daddy grabbed three of them, along with some drinks, a muffin, and a banana.  We sat around for a while and talked, and then Daddy had to go because even though he had just run 5 miles, he opened the office!  So Daddy ate a sandwich and gave Luke and me the other two.  We left with them.  Just a block down from the marathon was a new park that had been built since I moved from Spartanburg, and I had seen it several times when I visited home.  There were swings and I really wanted to go sit in them.  I told Luke that, and he was up for going, so we did.  Luke and I parked across the street in the parking lot of a bank and walked over.


Luke and I sat in this swing and ate our sandwiches and just got to hang out.  We talked about nothing and it was great.  I told him I was proud of him and how well he had done in the last year.  It was almost chilly outside, and everything felt amazing.

There was lots of other cool stuff in the little park, too.




It was a great morning with my brother.  We drove around everywhere with the windows down, cranked some of his mixed CDs, and had a great time together.  It was wonderful.  My brother is the best. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment