Friday, April 6, 2012

Sunshiney Shoes

Last weekend, when Justin and I went shopping, I got an Easter dress.  It's a pretty yellow number from Belk, with a pink belt and sweater.


That sweater is a little darker in person than it is in the photo, like the belt on the left.  I loved the dress (it even has pockets!), but after we bought it and brought it home, I realized that I didn't have any shoes that would match the pink or the yellow.

I did, however, have shoes that I wore in college and not much since.  They were little pink ballet flats that don't really match anything I own, and I decided I would paint them to match the dress.




I first considered using spray paint, but I don't have a well-ventilated area to work with it.  It's also been raining a lot here and I didn't want to attract bugs or have the shoes get wet or anything else.  So then I thought of fabric paint.  I went to Michaels and bought some Scribbles fabric paint that would dry flexibly for $1 and change.



I lined the bottom of the shoes with painter's tape.  (Did you know they sell painter's tape at the dollar store?  Happy day!)

After three coats yesterday and letting them cure over night,  here is the end result!


I did experience some minor parts of the shoe, near the bottom where the tape was, that didn't get any paint.  But these parts are minor and not seen well when the shoes are worn, so I'm not too worried about that.


I like my new sunshiney shoes! :)



I was hoping for the color in the bottle, but because I didn't paint the shoes white first, the color came out a bit darker.

Even then, the color will still be cute for Spring!

One more time:

Before
 After

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment