Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will.
Have you ever read "The Story of An Hour," by Kate Chopin? It's a short story read in many English classes. It's about a woman who learns her husband is dead from a freak accident. She goes up to her room to be alone and grieve, only to realize over the course of an hour that she is really much happier now that he is gone. Afterward, there is a knock at her door. She answers it, to find her husband standing there, not dead, and her world is forever changed by the realization she had in her room.
I've had my own Chopin story, only it's been over the course of the last 14 hours.
To make a long story short, I have been working as a Marketing Specialist for an HVAC company in Raleigh since May of this year. It has become abundantly clear recently that my boss is trying to fire me, for all intents and purposes. It seems that almost since I was hired, my boss hasn't been thrilled with my work, despite my many efforts, and has gradually lowered my time, pay, or both, in an effort to eventually pay me nothing at all. This has been really frustrating, hence my other posts about looking for other work. Since I have been unable to find any other work, I have been putting up with the nonsense of low pay and hours.
Last night, I received an email from my boss Adrian. He says that "we" (not sure who the other half is, since I had absolutely no say in this) have decided to cut down on social marketing (meaning me). His current offer is for me to become a contractor (instead of an employee like I am now) and receive a monthly fee for social media marketing. I've written back asking him several questions and haven't heard back yet, so I'm playing my favorite game - The Waiting Game. I'm a pro athlete there.
I read the email around 10 p.m. last night. I sort of had the same realization Kate had. Maybe I'm happier without this job. It's caused a lot of stress for me over the last few months and I'm sick of dealing with an incompetent boss. Perhaps if he's offering me an open door, I should just walk out of it. This was before he clarified the outsourcing bit for me. Now that I know I could still work for him, should I stay? I don't know what to do. I've felt sick all day and until I get any more answers from him regarding the terms of my new "position," I won't know which answer to give.
This all just happened so suddenly, and it's a really sucky situation. I wasn't making real good bank as it was, and now I'll be making even less. I've applied to every job I can find that even remotely requires my degree, and even a few that don't. I'm a good worker, and no one seems to appreciate that. I feel like the bottom of the barrel to everyone and how they have to scrape the bottom to get to me and even then they don't want what they find. I'm very sad and ill and depressed today. I hope that changes but for now I guess I'll go back into my corner.
Don't feel bad. This will pass and I'll be okay. Always am. Justin has been more than supportive throughout this whole thing, and that helps tremendously. But I'll always take encouragement from comment-leavers, too. ;) Hope everyone is having a better day than me (honestly)!
PS: Also, Bonnie ate a wooden spoon in the kitchen and we may have a flat tire. Murphy's Law.
No comments:
Post a Comment