![]() |
| Pictured: GTFO. |
Here's what happened.
Yesterday was Tuesday, the one day a week I usually go into work. My boss emailed me yesterday morning, mere hours before I was to be at work, to tell me I didn't have to come in because I wasn't needed. With my ego deflated, I took to the Internet in search of other jobs. I've been trying to find another source of work for several weeks now, as my current job isn't meeting my initial expectations.
Yesterday, I was simply on the hunt for whatever/whomever was hiring. After finding pretty much nothing that even remotely required my degree, I gave into gender roles and began looking into secretarial/assistant openings. I saw an opening for a Resident Assistant and jumped on over and applied. I didn't really think anymore about it after I applied.
This morning, I get a call about the RA position. I am offered an interview tomorrow morning and start to get pretty excited about it. It's not an ideal position, nor is it a job I am particularly interested in, but the fact that I got an interview somewhere for a job I applied to made me happy. I called Justin immediately after I hung up from setting up the interview to tell him about it, and I was met with the "Oh." You know what I mean: when you are so excited about something and you tell someone else that you're close to about it and all you get in return is, "Oh." It's like the other person was expecting something incredibly monumental and all they got was whatever you said, despite the fact that it's pretty monumental to you.
After Justin and I were talking for a few minutes, he began asking questions about the position. Really simple ones, like, "What would your responsibilities be?" and "What is the position?" and "Where would you be working?" And eff it all to hell, I had no answer for any of those! It's true: I had applied for a job which I knew nothing about. I had to look the listing up while I was on the phone with Justin to tell him anything about it. It was embarrassing. But through the embarrassment, I realized this job was almost the farthest thing from what I wanted - it was more of a CNA job than it was an RA job. The job was a senior center in Chapel Hill, and I would be expected to pretty much nurse all the seniors. Some of my responsibilities included bathing, toileting, and feeding them. Now, I must be the most selfish person on the face of the earth, because that sounds absolutely disgusting to me. I wish I could feel like I was helping someone, or that I was doing a good deed, but I can't get past the ick factor to appreciate those things. I'm a bad person.
Anyway, once I got a better glimpse of what the job really was, I sat here for an hour trying to talk myself into it. "You'd be helping people!" and, "This is what you get for not doing your homework, deal with it!" But after that hour, and after my nerves were pretty much officially shot, I realized I just couldn't do it. Even though it was the only interview I'd been offered in months, and it would surely be the only application that showed any interest in me, I didn't feel it was right to put my interviewer and myself through the process when I didn't even want the job. I called the guy back and told him that I wanted to be honest and that I had looked over the job requirements and I felt like I wasn't the right candidate for the position. He thanked me for being honest and we both hung up with no hard feelings. I feel like an idiot, but at least now I don't have to go through all the motions for a job I don't even want. There is someone else out there who needs this job and is better suited for it than me. Here's hoping I have opened up that slot for someone who deserves it!
In closing, kids, make sure and read all the details and fine print before you fully subscribe to something. It could come back to put you in a chokehold later.

No comments:
Post a Comment