For a little over a month, I've had a new job.
It all started on Friday, April 6. Justin had gone to play Magic at Sci-Fi, and at the end of the night, two girls from a job recruitment place were asking if anyone was interested in working as a video game tester in the area. When Justin realized the girls worked for a job recruitment facility, he asked them about me. He talked me up (probably a lot more than he should have), and asked if there was anything they could set up for me. Tara, one of the girls, gave Justin her card and told him to have me email her and we would go from there.
Justin was so excited, and just about shoved the card in my face when he got home, begging me to email Tara. I did the next morning, the 7th. I heard back from Tara the next day, the 8th. She told me she had just recently been hired by APC (the job recruitment company) and was looking to start full-time there, but was currently wrapped up with an HVAC company in Raleigh as their Marketing Specialist. She said that given my resume, it looked like I would be a good candidate for her replacement.
The next day, Monday, was dead as far as communication. Then, I got a call from Tara that night asking if Tuesday would be okay for an interview. Totally freaked out and unprepared, I said no. We finally rearranged the interview to Thursday, the 12th. Tara and Adrian, the owner of Comfort Services Heating & Air, met me at a Starbucks near the Comfort Services office.
We proceeded to talk things over concerning my job responsibilities and what I wanted from the job and what Adrian needed from me. It also came out that finding Tara's replacement had turned into an almost-three-month-long search. Tara said that nobody seemed qualified enough for the position and that at one point, they had even turned the position into an internship to gain more interest and hopefully fill it quicker, but to no avail. It just seemed like everything was falling perfectly into place. The interview went well and everyone seemed to leave happy.
The weekend went by and I heard nothing.
Then, on Monday, the 16th, Tara called while we were watching America's Got Talent. She said that Adrian was willing to offer me a place in the company and keep within my requested salary ($13.5/hr). And so, standing in my living room, I accepted the offer and was officially employed. My biggest prior concern had been taxes, as my other job doesn't tax me and it scares the hell out of me to file at 1099. But Adrian was totally fine taxing me, which thrilled my soul.
Tara noted that Adrian didn't want me to start until May 8, so that gave me almost 3 weeks to chill, which was nice. I drove to Raleigh on Tuesday, the 8th, and have been coming back ever since.
So far, the job has been easy-peasy, and that's what scares me. I don't feel like I'm so qualified that the job seems easy. I feel like I'm not doing something right, or not doing enough. I feel bad that Adrian's paying me, and all I'm doing in playing on Facebook (not my page, the company's page, but still). I took the liberty this morning to contact Tara, who by the way is still a consultant for CSI, and ask her if there was something I was missing, something I need to be doing but am not doing. I'm hoping she'll answer soon (her history of answering emails quickly is short indeed).
What I'm most proud of thus far is getting to work without using a GPS. Work is exactly 40 minutes from my apartment, and getting through Raleigh seemed a daunting task at first. But now I can do it with ease. :)
I'll keep this ol' blog updated about the job. Sometimes I just consider quitting altogether. I'm already part-time, working between 13 and 18 hours a week. There are those who don't understand why I would quit a job that basically pays me good money for not a lot of work, but I just feel so guilty. Adrian is a good man who just wants the best for his company. Once I have a better understanding of what I'm supposed to be doing, exactly, I'll feel better. And I'll feel more entitled to work here.
Til then, Blogger!
No comments:
Post a Comment