Saturday, June 30, 2012

The Creative Process

(a.k.a., a post with a lot of pictures in it.)

Back in May, Justin and I went with our friend Dave to Free Comic Book Day at one of our local comic book stores.  Gabe Dunston, a friend of Dave's as well as an illustrator, drew a commission for us.  He drew Justin and me as Zelda and Link.  It took him about two hours to do.  He is 100% color blind, and has to ask which color is which while drawing/coloring his art.  So while the guys walked around and actually got free comics, I hung out with Gabe and helped him pick out colors.  It was fascinating to me to watch him work, since I can't draw to save my life.  Here is his creative process.

I still can't believe it started from just a blank sheet of paper.




















It now sits in our living room, next to our computer table.  We love that Zelda has brown hair and Link has a red beard, like the two of us.  I'd never had a commission done before at a convention-type thing, and didn't even know they existed, but I'm excited to have another done in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment