Tuesday, July 3, 2012

How Whole Grain Kix My Butt

So, sometime last week I got this almost unbearable craving for Berry Berry Kix, a childhood favorite of mine.


I don't know why this craving hit, but it was BAD.  Like, I had to have them right now or die.

I thought it was a sign when I was adding my digital coupons to my Kroger card and happened upon a coupon for the very cereal I was in the process of dying for.

I hurried to Kroger and was saddened to realize that only Original Kix lined the shelves.  No matter! I thought.  I'll just try the other Kroger!  So I did.  Again, I was met with defeat.

After lamenting this story to Justin, who knew of my plight to find the magical puffed corn confection, he took the liberty of looking up the product online.


At first, because of how close the asterisk text was, the purple arrow was all we saw.  I almost cried hysterically at the thought of this cereal being discontinued.  But then I saw the other listing below the purple arrow and a little hope started shining!

After clicking the bottom 12 oz. link, we found out that this cereal is apparently only sold in Target stores anymore.  After dinner was done, I put on pants and hurried to the nearest Target store.  I was absolutely enlightened when I saw the purple box on the shelf where there had been a gaping hole in every other store.

As I neared the cereal, I recognized the words, "Whole Grain," the latest health fad, scrawled across the front of the box.  Upon seeing this, I cringed a little.  You see, I don't like whole grain.  And it's not for lack of trying.  I've tried whole grain pasta and rice.  I think it tastes gross and it's very noticeably different from the regular version.

Upon this realization, I shoved the forward-most cereal boxes to the side and checked in the back of the row to see if perhaps there were some "normal" boxes of the cereal left.  There weren't.

I refused to give up hope after this kind of adventure and semi-reluctantly bought the cereal and came home. I couldn't wait to pour the little berry-flavored balls into milk that would later be strawberry-flavored when I drank it from the bowl.  I performed the cereal ritual and headed to my rocker to fully enjoy the experience.

The first bite sealed the unfortunate deal.  Whole Grain had ruined something else I loved.  The cereal just didn't taste the same.  And not in the I-was-a-kid-last-time-I-ate-this way, but it was almost as if this was a whole other cereal.  It wasn't as sweet, and the flavors weren't the same.  The milk at the end was a weak version of the strawberry my tongue had been longing for over a week's time.

And so, I am sad.  Stupid whole grain.  Ruins everything.  Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment