Tuesday, August 14, 2012

On the Hunt

Over the last week, I've been looking into getting another job.  Even though I'm happy with my current job (to a degree), and I'm thankful for the one(s) I have, I would still like a better one.

This is hard for me to admit, because my mom and Justin, specifically, both think I can do anything.  This is awesome for my ego, but not for applying for a job.  My mom (and Justin, sometimes) talks me up to everyone and sometimes I feel very pressured by this.  My mom, like many other moms, thinks that because I can make blogs/websites and can make videos using iMovie on the computer that I am a computer whiz.  Then when she has a question about the inner-workings of her computer or the Internet, delving into stuff like C++, she doesn't understand why I don't automatically know the answer.  The mediums I work with and the mediums my mother thinks I am the master of are so radically different.  To her, it's all just "computer."  It's almost like thinking that a child who has mastered Checkers should somehow automatically know how to play Chess because the board looks the same.  So, when a potential employer asks my mom if I know how to do "blank," if it has to do with computers in any way, my mom starts singing my praises.  Then when they get to me and I either have no clue what aspect of computers they're talking about, or have zero experience in that part of the field, I am left in the dust.  Justin does the same thing.

This is not to say I am not grateful for their efforts.  The fact that the two most important people in my life think I am capable of pretty much anything is both flattering and humbling.  Sadly, it's also wrong. :)

I said all that to say this: because I am so often put up against jobs I am in no way suited for, I tend to have a low view of myself in terms of what I can do.  I always see what I can't do and that can end up weighing heavily on me.  I look through countless job postings on numerous websites and all I ever see is what I can't do or what I'm not capable of.

Well, I'm sick of that.

So this morning, I went to LinkedIn (ironically, to get a better idea of my current job description) and searched.  I found a Copywriter job with a company called Capstrat in Raleigh.  Capstrat is "One of the largest communications firms in the Southeast and one of the top 40 agencies in the United States.  Capstrat is a full-service strategic communications firm, providing these services in-house:"


Taken directly from the website.

Their About page is one of the funniest/coolest ones I've ever seen.  They just seem like a cool company and I'd love to work for them.  I applied to the Copywriter position and am hoping for the best.  The company is also in Raleigh, but it's only about 25 minutes from the apartment, as opposed to 40!

This is all exciting for me because I finally feel like I am deserving of something job-related.  Usually, I am so quick to just say, "They'd never hire me," and don't even try.  But this morning I just felt different.  I felt deserving and I felt cool.  I didn't care what the job description said (even though I could do this job pretty easily...it is pretty much what I went to school for), I just wanted to try.  So, I did.  Here's hoping it paid off!

No comments:

Post a Comment