Yeah, I know. Worst pun ever.
So, I went to the Health Department today. I'd had the appointment for months. I have to go to the HD for receive birth control pills, since I don't have a PCP and I'm uninsured. Anyway, I went in today for my annual physical, and had to step up on the scale. I haven't been weighed on a scale since the last time I went in for my physical, which was back in September 2010.
Like most other women I know, I've struggled with my weight for some time. When I entered high school at 15, I was pretty heavy and I liked wearing tight clothes. It wasn't a good combo. As high school continued, I slimmed down, but not to the point of actually being slim, just to the smallest size I've been since puberty. Upon attending college, I of course gained the Freshman Fifteen, and then some. And once I lived in a dorm, it was all pretty much over, because I sat and watched TV and ate all the time, simply because I could. This evened out, though, because I had to walk all over campus to class, and often times, I chose to walk around town to fast food places, or drug stores, or whatever. Because I was always walking somewhere, and therefore getting in some form of exercise, eating a lot didn't blow me up so much.
But now, it's a different story. Ever since I graduated from college, I've been packing on pounds. This is mostly due to the lack of exercise. I don't really eat candy or chocolate, and I usually drink water in place of tea or soda. The fact is, I have blown up, and even though I didn't like it to be begin with, it honestly didn't bother me enough to try and fix it.
Ever since I stepped on that scale earlier today, it's been bothering me. You see, I didn't have a number to associate with the weight gain, so I didn't really know how much I'd put on. I knew my arms were getting flabby, and that I was quickly growing a double chin. Even in my wedding photos, you can tell I had gained weight.
The last time I was weighed, my weight was 165. This was bad enough. I didn't like this number. I tried to tell myself that it was just a number, and that it doesn't mean the same for everyone. And it doesn't. But as of today, I now know that I weigh 188. That means something to me. It means something really bad. 165 was bad enough, but the new number is way too close to 200 for comfort. I really don't want to weigh that much. I don't want to look like a supermodel, or even go down a few sizes, although those are nice thoughts. I want to be healthy. That number isn't healthy. I want a new number.
I'm not sure what I'm going to do to start fixing this. I'm probably going to gourd myself on water for a while, and hopefully get into an exercise routine. I can run and walk when I take Bonnie out, instead of just walking. And there are lots of workout videos on Netflix I can utilize. Exercise is really my only option because I'm weak with food. I don't want to starve, and I don't want to completely change my diet. I like the food I eat. Perhaps better portions are in order on that front.
I find it ironic that every year since I was 15, I've made the New Year's resolution to lose weight. I didn't do that this year, because it's never something I live up to. But maybe that'll change this year. Maybe I'll finally be able to make some of this go away. Here's hoping.
No comments:
Post a Comment