Friday, February 3, 2012

Nothing's Gonna Stop Me But Divine Intervention

Today has been crazy and it's only 8:36 a.m.

About a month ago, I purchased a train ticket to Spartanburg for this weekend.  It was to leave at 7:15 this morning.  I set an alarm last night before I went to bed, and trusted it.  I passingly asked Justin to set an additional alarm, but he figured the one would be sufficient.

The amount of light in our bedroom when I woke up was a clear indicator of what time it was, although I was hoping for it to be earlier.  It wasn't.  I got out of bed and walked into the kitchen where the nearest working clock is, and it read 7:21.  Not only had I missed the train, but I had missed it by 6 minutes.  (I found out the train was 2 minutes late, so really 8 minutes.)

I froze for a minute.  I wasn't sure what to do.  I checked my phone.  It had the name of the alarm I set across the top of the sleep screen, but I wasn't sure it had gone off.  I just couldn't believe I didn't hear it.  My mind immediately set into Future Gear, and I was trying to think of what to do next.  I sighed and walked back into the bedroom and woke Justin up gently and told him that we had missed the train.  He sat up quickly in bed, asking what time it was.  I told him it was nearly 7:30, and he just kept asking what we were supposed to do.  I told him there wasn't really anything we could do, and that I hoped the next train was still available.  I checked on the iPad, and it was.  I couldn't believe it.

Normally, the day of the departure, and surely before a holiday weekend, there's no hope for getting a ticket, which is why I bought the ticket for this morning a month ago.  Justin reminded me that I needed to call my mother, who was picking me up, and tell her that I had missed this train.  I called, and of course, she was just cool as a cucumber and told me not to worry and to just take the next one, and that she'd be there.  I seriously lucked out in the mom department.  So, I logged onto the Amtrak website and bought the ticket and now here we are.

So many things about this are crazy.  I'm such a planner.  I plan things as far ahead as I can.  I've never missed a train.  We've never not set a second alarm, just in case.  This whole situation is backwards, and I can only believe that it's divine intervention.  I still don't know if I believe in fate or destiny, as in we make our decisions or just think we do, but I think this happened for a reason.  I think everything happens for a reason.  I sincerely don't want anything to happen to the passengers on that train, but what if it does?  What if I just narrowly escaped something horrendous?  I hate to think about it that way, but in any case, this happened for a reason.

At least now, I had a few hours to myself, something I haven't had for a while!  I've been back at work since the 18 of January.  I have today off, so I could catch the train this morning, but I'm catching one a little later.

Thank you, God, for whatever this morning means.  I'm sure it just means something good.  Thank you for this and all of our many blessings.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment