I don't think you understand. Particularly if you don't live in Durham, or live in a place that's had a Zaxby's for a long time, like any other place I've ever lived, ever.
When I moved here in 2010, I was instantly depressed over how much Durham seemed to be lacking in the food department. The previous two places I had lived were Spartanburg, SC, and Rock Hill, SC, both of which I now know had one of everything you could ever want to eat. Because I've lived in Spartanburg my whole life, and was subjected to having whatever I wanted to eat whenever I wanted it, it didn't occur to me that if I ever lived anywhere else, they wouldn't have it, too. When I went away to college and that town also had everything, that only confirmed that things like Denny's and Jack in the Box and Sub Station II were everywhere. God, was I wrong.
After finding out Durham had none of those things plus some, I was upset about it. I uprooted myself to a completely new state and there's not even anything to eat here?! I thought. Zaxby's was one of those restaurants that hurt the most to be absent. Not to mention, Durham is not only a college town, but the college town of Duke University! Yet there aren't any places around here other than Cook Out that cater to the late night hungry college crowd. I still don't think that makes any sense.
The lack of places to eat has been a topic of conversation for Justin and me ever since we've lived here. And we made sure to make it a point of conversation with everyone that would listen. One of those listeners was Paula, one of Justin's co-workers. This past Wednesday, Justin sends me a text telling me that Paula claims she saw a Zaxby's in Durham. He looks it up on the Zaxby's website, and sure enough, there is a listing.
And so. Today. We found it.
![]() |
| Can you believe we've gone without this for over 2 years?? |
And that's not even the end!
Upon finding the Zaxby's, making sure it was up and running, touching the brick and mortar to rule out mirages, and tasting the heavenly food, we noticed a place next door called Goodberry's. We really wanted to walk over there after lunch and see what it was, since it looked like an ice cream parlor and I'm never not in the mood for ice cream!
After we ate our chicken finger plates, I looked up Goodberry's on my phone while Justin was in the bathroom. I found out that even though it was a creamery, it didn't serve ice cream or frozen yogurt. It served frozen custard! This really intrigued me. I told Justin that upon his return, and he became intrigued as well. We walked over, and ordered our dessert. I got the Strawberry Shortcake Sundae, and Justin got the Snickers Sundae.
![]() |
| Excellent, creamy, custardy goodness. |
Mmmm!
That was some of the best stuff I've ever eaten. I couldn't believe it was custard! Both of our sundaes were made with vanilla custard as the base, and it was the most unreal tasting goodness I've ever had. It was a lot like ice cream, but thicker, and creamier, and sweeter. It was ah-mazing. We will most certainly be back. Maybe tomorrow... ;)
So, congratulations, Durham, you suck a little less. Keep up the good work.


A town sucks less because they have a chain restaurant? Wow, just what's wrong with most "cities" in this country. Box stores, MCmansions, and just no concept of diversity. I would think you might like a city because it has things that other places can't offer -not some lame chain. That is boring. Maybe they'll put a Zaxby's in the Wal Mart so you don't have to travel anywhere else.
ReplyDeleteYes! Congratulations, you were able to surmise the point of that post! You got what I was saying! You understood words! You won!
ReplyDeleteBut just to be clear, a troll like you should come with a jewel in their belly button.
Thanks for playing!